1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas mark 5.
2. Cream together the butter and caster sugar until nice and smooth then gradually stir in the plain flour to form a smooth paste.
3. Wrap the shortbread in cling film and leave to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
4. Roll out the shortbread on a work surface lightly dusted with flour.
5. Using heart shaped cutters cut out the hearts shapes and place on a baking tray.
6. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until pale-golden brown.
7. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.